The National Museum Network for Democracy and Human Rights was established on 14 March 2016 in the Constituent Assembly Hall from 1814 in the historical Eidsvoll House. Nine museums and centres signed the foundational memorandum, a number that has risen to 23 by September 2018. Like all the National Norwegian museum networks, ours is based on an agreement with the Arts Council of Norway.
The network is open to museums and related institutions dealing with democracy and human rights issues through research, documentation, education and other public activities. The purpose is to strengthen this work through the following activities:
- Sharing relevant research and other knowledge resources
- Developing competence within the area of museum education and sharing experiences from community based activities
- Connecting with relevant professional institutions in Norway, in particular knowledge and research centres dedicated to the advancement of democratic citizenship
- Participating in international networks and drawing on international expertise
- Evaluating and critically discussing our efforts and achievements, as well as facilitating new cross-institutional projects.
Coordinator: Torleif R. Hamre, email: Torleif.Hamre@eidsvoll1814.no
telephone: (+ 47) 92251672